Sunday, December 8, 2013

Deleting Distractions

This may or may not have been covered before, but I want to testify of its brilliance. Now, distractions can be anything; kids, animals, youtube, facebook, food in the pantry, the neighbors burying a body in their backyard, or the front room needs rearranging. Get rid of them! Now, I'm not saying send the kids and dogs over to go help the neighbors bury the body, but I am saying, find a way to get rid of them so they wont distract you from writing. For me, social media is a HUGE distraction. I love/hate social media and it doesn't take long for, "I'll just check facebook really fast before I start writing." to turn into a solid hour on facebook. I'll admit it, yes, I have spent a solid hour commenting, liking, and staring/scrolling aimlessly at my stupid newfeed. AND FOR WHAT? Nothing, I tell you. For many reasons, I decided to delete the facebook and twitter applications from my phone. They are obviously still accessible, but getting rid of the direct line definitely helped keep me away. Since Friday, I have written 8,500 words in my novel. Keep in mind, I have not been making much progress thus far... because of distractions. Now, that was just for me, but I encourage all to find what these distractions are and get rid of them, even if its just for a few hours so you can dedicate that time to your project. Happy deleting!!

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, I love that you're referencing The Burbs! Great movie to get you distracted. I really like your post and the amount of writing you were able to get done is inspiring! I'm going to go through a mental distraction checklist and try to delete them even just for a little while.

    ReplyDelete